Fixed term appointment (minimum 3 years)
Place of Assignment
Lesotho, Butha-Buthe district with frequent travel to SolidarMed sites
Start of Contract
March 2021 or as soon as possible
Non-Communicable Diseases (NCDs) such as diabetes, high blood pressure and impaired mental health are the number one cause of death and disability globally. Lesotho, like other sub-Saharan countries, faces a situation where the growing health burden of NCDs adds to the challenges of scaling up and maintaining the HIV, TB and COVID19 responses.
ComBaCaL (Community Based chronic disease Care Lesotho) is a project funded by the Swiss Agency for Development and Cooperation (SDC) and developed by a consortium involving the Lesotho Ministry of Health, the Swiss NGO SolidarMed, the Swiss Tropical and Public Health Institute (Swiss TPH), the National University of Lesotho, and affected communities. ComBaCaL is a multi-disciplinary research for development program aimed at fighting the disproportionate health and socio-economic burden posed by NCDs in Lesotho. The project will run from 2021 to 2025. Therefore, SolidarMed Lesotho is now recruiting an exceptional and motivated Medical Doctor and Global Health Professional.
Your tasks and responsibilities
- Lead the implementation of the ComBaCaL project, together with the dedicated project team.
- Plan, coordinate, supervise and monitor all ComBaCaL project activities towards agreed targets; design remediation interventions to address identified gaps.
- In Collaboration with the SolidarMed Country Director, lead the engagement of all local, national, and international partners involved at district and national level to ensure smooth running of the project activities.
- Provide technical and clinical expertise in guidelines/policy development and implementation.
- Contribute both operationally and strategically to the development of the social enterprise activities of the ComBaCaL project.
- Assume responsibility for the management of the project cycle. This includes report writing based on agreed indicators, budget management and quality assurance.
- Collaborate in the development and implementation of the science agenda, abstracts and manuscripts development, following the ComBaCaL workplans.
- Engage together with the country director in policy dialogue at national level
- Promote cross learning within the NCDs field, through collaboration with other countries and other partner programs in the region and globally.
Medical degree plus at least one of the additional qualifications:
- Medical specialization or equivalent, preferably in internal medicine
- Master of Science in public health or other health sciences
- Demonstrated experience with clinical management of NCDs
Skills and Required experience and competencies
- A minimum of 5 years of demonstrated experience implementing medium to large-scale health projects or programs in resource-limited settings.
- At least 2 years’ experience at international level.
- Demonstrated experience in strategic planning and program implementation, including large, multi-year international development projects that have successfully implemented activities in areas such as comprehensive HIV, TB, NCD or maternal and child health programmes.
- Demonstrable working knowledge and experience using data and evidence to inform and improve public health programmes.
- Proven leadership and management experience including supervising other professionals, motivating team members.
- Excellent verbal and written English, including reports and peer-reviews writing, interpersonal and presentation skills.
- Ability to interact with established networks of senior level international health professionals, donors, universities, and other partners.
- Positive overview in a complex working environment, strong interpersonal skills
- Valid driving license.
- Experience working in Sub-Saharan Africa or similar setting.
- Traceable experience in research, including peer-review publications in the field of Global Health.
- An exciting role which brings clear scope for innovation and creativity, as well as the chance to apply expert skills in a challenging delivery environment.
- You will be part of a motivated team in a professionally run, innovative programme.
- Possibility of Family posting
- An international network providing the possibility for further professional and academic development.
How to apply
Please email your application to email@example.com citing reference “ComBaCal Project Manager Lesotho” and include
- A cover letter outlining your motivation and how you meet the requirements
- Detailed Curriculum Vitae indicating relevant work experience and contact details of 2 professional referees (max. 2 pages)
- Publication list with maximum five of your publications you judge most relevant for this application
- Copies of your latest and /or most relevant qualification
Please also mention how you heard about the job posting (if internet, please mention which site).
Due to the high volume of applications, SolidarMed will only contact shortlisted candidates. We kindly ask you not to send in duplicate or hard copies of your CV.
Deadline for applications
28th February 2021