Médecins Sans Frontières is an international independent medical-humanitarian organization, which offers assistance to populations in distress, to victims of natural or man-made disasters and to victims of armed conflict, without discrimination and irrespective of race, religion, creed or political affiliation.
MSF is a civil society initiative that brings together individuals committed to the assistance of other human beings in crisis. As such MSF is by choice an association. Each individual working with MSF does it out of conviction and is ready to uphold the values and principles of MSF.
The MSF movement is built around five operational directorates supported by MSF’s 21 sections, 24 associations and other offices together worldwide. MSF Operational Center Geneva (OCG) is one of those directorates. The operations are implemented by field teams and the mission coordination teams.
The position belongs to the Communication and Fundraising department, whose mission is to maximize engagement with audiences globally, in the field, and in Switzerland and speak out about populations in distress and ensure social support to MSF's social mission.
The digital transition has been identified as one of the key pillars of the strategic plan (2020-2023) of MSF OCG to increase the engagement of MSF current supporters and grow MSF audience.
You will be leading the effort to provide engaging and personalized experiences to our audiences in the field, in Switzerland (up to 3 languages), and globally, reaching millions of people via social and traditional media, with a committed donor base of almost 300’000 people and an annual private income of 130M CHF.
Hierarchically accountable to the Director of Communications and Fundraising and functionally to the Deputy Director of Fundraising you lead the Digital Unit, a multidisciplinary team of marketers and communication experts, that define and implements the digital communications and fundraising strategies and action plans.
You work closely with the different Units in the Communication (Operational Communications, Creative Contents, Media and Event) and Fundraising Department (Mass-market, Regular Donors acquisition, Philanthropy, Fundraising systems), as well as other Departments or Units such as Human Resources, Department of information systems and Associative.
We are looking for a person with vision and expertise about the present and future of digital engagement, a proactive team player, who is enthusiastic and eager to put his/her talent at the service of our humanitarian mission.
Tasks and responsibilities
Strategy and planning
- Define the mid/long-term vision and strategy for MSF OCG’s digital communication and fundraising, translating them into actionable plans to achieve the expected results, and following relevant frameworks such as engagement strategy;
- Lead definition of the Unit’s annual plan, monitor its implementation, ensure objectives are met and define corrective actions when necessary;
- Contribute to the overall planning of the Communication and Fundraising department;
- Lead, advise and design, together with the reference people in relevant teams, including in other MSF sections, the strategies for digital content dissemination and community management through social media, websites and other digital channels, including in support of operational communication activities;
- Lead, advise and design, together with the reference people in relevant teams, including in other MSF sections, the strategies to achieve digital fundraising objectives (donor acquisition and engagement, lead generation and conversion to regular donors, peer-to-peer, corporate, high value donors, legacies, etc.);
- Ensure digital support and advice is provided to public engagement events and campaigns, as well as integrated campaigns with multiple objectives;
- Ensure optimization of digital channels and tools to maximize contribution to Comms and Fundraising strategies (CRO, SEM, SEO, SMO, engagement rates, inbound, emailing, streaming, etc.);
- Identify and propose new tools, formats, and apps to strengthen MSF’s digital engagement;
- Oversee the optimization of the donors’ CRM system (MS Dynamics 365) to enable the digitalization of fundraising programmes;
- Advise and support operations in the field in achieving communication and advocacy objectives through social media and other digital tools.
- Lead definition, implementation and monitoring of KPIs for the Unit and ensure comprehensive statistics and reports to identify risks, opportunities and priorities for communication and fundraising;
- Oversee the development of dashboards (including for internal communication purposes), and the production of reports and recommendations for improvement of online activities and digital marketing campaigns;
- Oversee development of analytic tools and ensure tracking integration with online analysis tools.
Development and technical coordination
- Oversee and ensure coherent and comprehensive development of MSF digital products and its integration with departments’ tools ecosystem (CRM, MKT Automation, etc.) in close collaboration with of Department of information systems;
- Oversee the adequate websites’ info architecture and a correct organization of contents;
- Ensure identification of technical problems and facilitate solutions with the support of Department of information systems (DIS).
- Line-manage the 7 (including 2 interns) team members of the Digital Unit and oversee their activities; X positions are based in Zurich and additional resources located in other offices.
- Provide team members with necessary support to ensure achievement of priorities;
- Be responsible for the HR cycle of the people in the unit (updating JD’s, recruitment, induction, support, evaluation, development, etc.)
- Functionally manage digital positions in other units of the comms and fundraising;
- Foresee future needs and generate capacity to fulfill future institutional challenges;
- Be aware of the digital objectives of other units to ensure necessary support;
- Proactively contribute to digital transformation of other units in the department.
Income projections and budgeting
- Define income and donor acquisition projections (4 year) for the digital channels;
- Define, manage and monitor Digital Unit’s budget and expenses to optimize resources
Relations and networking
- Participate in the heads of unit’s platforms of the department;
- Take part of strategic platforms and working groups related to digital, at international level;
- Coordinate, network and share information and expertise with digital teams in other MSF offices and NGOs.
- Degree in Digital Marketing and Communications, Digital Technologies, MBA or similar
- Team management experience
- Previous experience in the humanitarian sector an advantage
- Track record in conceptualizing, managing and developing complex digital projects and website structures
- Advanced user of the different online marketing tools
- Commitment to MSF’s Principles
- Cross-cultural Awareness
- Strategic Vision
- Results and Quality Orientation
- Service Orientation
- Planning and Organizing
- Initiative and Innovation
- Teamwork and Cooperation
- People Management and Development
- Networking and Building Relationships
- Good command of French and English or German and English
- Italian an asset
Terms of Employment
- Open-ended contract with a minimum of three-year commitment
- Full time
- Based in Geneva
- Starting date: ideally 01.02.2022
- Gross annual salary: from CHF 115’068.- to CHF129’108.- (salary commensurate with experience and according to internal salary grid)
How to apply
Candidates submit their application following the requirements: CV 2 p. max. – letter of motivation 1p. max. – in English or in French.
Closing date for application is December 5th, 2021.
The applications will be treated confidentially.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.