Secure and grow income for MSF from individual major donors in Italian speaking Switzerland, mainly in Ticino and some parts of Grisons. Expected income: from CHF1,5M to CHF3M per year.
The is a new and relevant position at the Philanthropy Unit within the Communications and Fundraising Department. S/he is personally responsible for raising funds from individual major donors, foundations and corporations in Italian speaking Switzerland, mainly in the Canton of Ticino and some parts of the Canton of Grisons. The Philanthropy Advisor for Italian speaking Switzerland is responsible of renewing and upgrading major donors, as well as acquiring new major donors among prospects in that region. With the Head of Unit, s/he’s in charge of designing the general strategy and guarantees the implementation of annual action plans for each portfolio of major supporters.
Strategy and action plan
- Conduct a fundraising potential study for MSF in Italian speaking Switzerland, identifying best opportunities and potential partnerships
- In accordance with the Head of unit, steer and coordinate the strategy for individual major donors, foundations and corporate fundraising in Italian speaking Switzerland.
- Develop and implement an individually donor-tailored action plan for the renewal or upgrading of contributions from current major donors and for the acquisition of new ones.
- Contribute to the strategic mapping and general annual plan of action of the Communications and Fundraising Department.
Cultivation and stewardship
- Identify fundraising champions/ambassadors and door openers to grants and funding through networking at the highest level in Italian speaking Switzerland
- Prepare and facilitate one to one meetings, calls, presentations and other meaningful interactions with major donors or representatives (lawyers, notaries, wealth managers, family offices, board members, etc.)
- After prospection, establish relations with new potential major donors, including ultra-high-net-worth individuals, grant making foundations or corporate donors, to secure significant support for MSF’s work
- Interact and collaborate with key managers within MSF (President, General Director, Director of Operations, other management team members), as well as field staff, with the aim of bringing donors closer to the organisation in an attempt to show them our live saving mission and work in the projects.
- Define, propose and organise field visits for major donors, according to MSF approved criteria and policies.
- Ensure that the moves management of major donors runs smoothly so major donors are thanked and steward properly.
- Liaise with Writing Officers for the preparation, including proof reading, translations and editing in Italian, of project briefings, reports, proposals, slideshows, newsletter, infographics and any other creative way of presenting MSF and its mission to major donors.
- Present and defend MSF’s cases for support to individual major donors in Italian speaking Switzerland.
- Ensure that the major donors journey strategy is followed and that major donors are solicited according to their motivations in a personalised way.
- Actively participate in the International Working Groups of Major Donors and Corporate at movement level.
- Represent MSF in Swiss Fundraising events and other professional gatherings with peer professionals from other organisations and entities in the Canton of Ticino and elsewhere in Italian speaking Switzerland.
- Work proactively on projects as needed in the Unit, upon request by her/his supervisor, in particular with other units within the Department (Direct Marketing, Regular Donors Acquisition, Media & Events).
- University degree in Business Management, Marketing, Communications, Political Science, Law, International Relations or equivalent
- Minimum of 5 years of professional experience in similar functions or in the fields of marketing/sales/communication/journalism or high-level relational skills, like public relations or wealth management
- Humanitarian experience: a plus
- Proven writing skills (drafting and editing)
- Excellent in oral public presentations
- Excellent knowledge of the Windows environment (Word, Excel, Power Point) and databases
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Excellent presentation skills
- Negotiation and persuasive skills
- Dynamic, proactive and autonomous
- Rigorous and good organizational skills
- Empathic, enthusiastic, optimistic
- Team spirit
- Fluent in both Italian and English
- Good understanding of French
- German: a plus
Terms of Employment
- Fixed-term contract, 18 months 100%
- Based in Zurich office or Ticino (to be discussed)
- Starting date: 1st March 2020
- Gross annual salary: from CHF 83’800.- to CHF 96'492. (salary commensurate with experience and according to internal salary grid)
How to apply
Candidates submit their application following the requirements: CV 2 p. max. – letter of motivation 1p. max. – in Italian or in English. Closing date for application is 5th January 2020.
The applications will be treated confidentially.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.