The Swiss health development organisation FAIRMED contributes to improved health for the poorest. Through its Country Offices in Africa and Asia FAIRMED focuses on neglected populations, neglected health systems, and neglected tropical diseases through ensuring that the determinants that contribute to health care are addressed such as Water, Sanitation and Hygiene.
To strengthen the Programme Unit in the FAIRMED Headquarter, we are looking for a
Grant Manager – Program Officer (100% M/F).
The position is based at the Head Office in Bern with approximately 8 weeks project visits per year in Africa and Asia. Starting date is September 2018.
- The Program Funding Manager (PFM) will provide strategic and operational direction, lead resource mobilization efforts, and support the diversification of revenue from institutional donors to achieve FAIRMED’s strategic objectives. He/she will operate as a member of the program unit, providing direct support to strategic growth opportunities as well as helping to strengthen grant development and grant compliance -related systems, processes, relationships and staff capacities. Together with national grant managers, and select members of the Program unit, he/she acts as focal point for proposal development, donor reporting, and information and grants management capacity-building efforts within the portfolio. He/she provides critical support in programmatic and budgetary monitoring, compliance with donor and internal FAIRMED rules and regulations and other key functions as required.
- Oversee FAIRMED’s programme portfolio in 1-2 countries, providing support in project cycle management to the Country Coordinator.
To ensure revenue diversification and growth for FAIRMED’s program portfolio
- Maintain pro-active network with main donors, develop efficient relationship with focal points of priority donors
- Identify funding opportunities for existing projects and new projects
- Engage with donors during call preparation, scan for call for proposals
- Proposal writing, lead grant writing teams, or closely support the national lead grant manager,
- Provide quality assurance of developed final proposals.
To support, quality assure and mentor FAIRMED’s programme portfolio management in 1-2 countries; in support to and direct consultation with the country coordinator of each country:
- Oversee project development processes to ensure content quality and integration of FAIRMED’s Project Cycle Management tools and principles, and alignment with FAIRMED’s programmatic strategy
- Communicate standards, build capacity and support country staff in project annual planning, both on activity set up and budget consolidation within the project and within the country budget;
- Communicate standards, build capacity and support country staff in project monitoring and evaluation processes in accordance with FAIMED’s PCM tools and principles; to ensure quality of project outputs and outcome.
- Ensure proper reporting as per FAIRMED and individual donor needs, coordinate with HQ PO on donor reporting
- Identify capacity building needs of FAIRMED staff
To contribute to the organisation’s management processes and to increase its visibility:
- Identify best practices in projects and develop material (reports, brochures, etc.) for dissemination and profiling of FAIRMED’s work in national, regional and international networks;
- Liaise with national and HQ Communications and Public Fundraising Team to provide updated and accurate information on project activities for dissemination and fund raising purposes;
- As a member of the Programme Team contribute to FAIRMED’s programmatic, management and strategic meetings and decision making processes (annual planning, reporting etc).
One of the 2 following is essential, and the combination of both an advantage:
- Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field and applicable experience in nonprofit governance, administration, grants management, including BD and compliance
- Master’s degree in Public Health, International Development or any relevant field.
Further professional development
- NGO business development (essential)
- Project Cycle Management knowledge and/or experience (essential)
- NTD, Health Systems strengthening
Work/management experience and other work skills
- 10 or more years work experience
- Grants making & management experience and familiarity with USG (USAID/OFDA, BPRM), European (Eu-AID, DFID, ECHO, SIDA), and UN (UNHCR, UNFPA, UNICEF ) donor regulations, procedures and requirements
- Management or coordination position in international teams and/or experience in Central Africa and/or Indian subcontinent
- Senior project portfolio management (desired);
- Multi-annual project coordination or management (essential);
- business development in NGO setting(essential), or grant making in donor setting (desired)
- Strong organizational skills and high level of attention to detail
- Demonstrated ability to respond proactively to unstructured environments and to navigate challenging situations and relationships with creativity and diplomacy
- Structured pro-active networking
- Fluency in Microsoft Office Suite especially Outlook and Word
- Passion for FAIRMED’s vision and values, with a commitment to serving the organization
- Team player, good communicator, excellent writing and presentation skills, problem solver, resourceful
- Fluent in French and English, German is desired.
Please send your application electronically to firstname.lastname@example.org by 31th August 2018.