Our vision is a world with enough healthy food for all, produced by healthy people in a healthy environment. Around our core theme of "ecological development and sustainable food systems", Biovision contributes to the implementation of the UN Sustainable Development Agenda 2030 at international and national level. SDG No. 2 "No Hunger" is our focus.
As a pioneer of change, Biovision advocates a fundamental, agroecological transformation of food systems, supports agroecological innovations and approaches and works to increase their prominence and use. For our medium-sized, well-positioned NGO, we are looking for a committed personality to strengthen our Development Projects team as a
Programme Officer Agroecology / Focal Point MEL (80%)
(Start Date: June 2021 or upon agreement)
In our projects, we promote the development and adoption of evidence-based agroecological farming practices and technologies, building a bridge between science and farmers. Our solutions contribute to the fight against poverty and lay the foundation for sustainable and resilient livelihoods in Sub-Saharan Africa.
In this role, your main tasks and responsibilities as Programme Officer (approx. 50%) include:
- Managing and steering a portfolio of projects in East Africa in the field of agroecology, food systems transformation and agricultural development;
- Monitoring of project progress and of key interventions based on evidence, ensuring joint learning and continuous improvement;
- Establishing close links with implementing partners and supporting capacity development to ensure the delivery of project outcomes from a technical, financial and administrative perspective;
- Developing new projects in close collaboration with partners;
- Maintaining, institutionalising and further developing strategic partnerships with research and other organisations, networking with allies and thematic experts;
- Supporting fundraising and communication activities in collaboration with the respective departments.
In addition to your Programme Officer tasks you will have specific thematic responsibilities in our participatory team structure. We are especially looking for a Focal Point for Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning (MEL) (approx. 30%) to fulfil the following tasks and responsibilities:
- Further develop and implement best-practice monitoring and evaluation tools and assessments incl. data management and reporting for all programme departments;
- Develop learning processes, analyse results and ensure that lessons learned feed into improved project delivery and design;
- Backstopping at institutional and departmental level; co-learning with partner organisations.
We are looking for a dynamic and motivated team player with the following qualifications:
- Relevant work experience (at least 5 years) in international cooperation in an agricultural context, preferably in Sub-Saharan Africa;
- A relevant Master’s degree in agriculture, geography, environmental sciences or related fields, ideally complemented with a postgraduate degree in development studies;
- Proven experience in project cycle management and familiarity with key approaches of international development cooperation;
- Proven experience in scientific and evidence-based project work, research for development, knowledge dissemination and agroecological approaches;
- Expertise in our thematic areas such as agroforestry, entomology, or behaviour change for food systems transformation;
- Additionally, as Focal Point MEL: proven experience in a similar position, incl. state of the art approaches and data collection & management tools;
- Cultural sensitivity for working with diverse stakeholders and readiness to travel 3-4 times per year (mainly to East Africa);
- Excellent knowledge of English (C2/C1), very good knowledge of German (C1), French is an asset;
- Ability to work independently in participatory structures with flexibility, humour and critical thinking;
- Swiss passport or residence permit C / B.
We offer a challenging position in a dynamic team and an innovative NGO with commensurate wages, adequate social security and a centrally located workplace in Zurich. Please send your entire electronic application documents until May 5th, 2021 to email@example.com. For further information, please contact Fabian Kohler (+41 44 512 58 47).